MARCOM's Video On Demand (VOD) program on Forklift Safety: Industrial Counterbalance Lift Trucks introduces employees to the forklift they'll be using, explain its capabilities and limitations, and show them how to operate and maintain it properly. Industrial counterbalance lift trucks are the forklifts that do most of the materials handling work in industrial facilities today. They get these tasks done quickly and efficiently, but they can also be dangerous… killing more than 100 workers and injuring thousands more every year. Areas covered in the course include what makes forklifts different, driving a forklift safely, using the mast and forks, operating safely in the workplace, inspecting a forklift, refueling and recharging safely, and more.
- Upon completing the course, employees should:
- Understand the design, capabilities and limitations of a counterbalance lift truck.
- Understand the hazards associated with operating a forklift in the workplace.
- Know safe operating procedures that they can use to help them avoid these hazards.
- Know how to inspect and maintain a forklift for safe and reliable operation.