MARCOM's Video On Demand (VOD) program on First Aid in Construction Environments discusses what employees should do and not do when someone is sick or injured, and how to determine when they should call for emergency assistance. When a construction worker is injured or becomes ill on a job site, their coworkers will usually be the first ones "on the scene" and have the opportunity to provide some initial treatment. In these situations they need to be able to recognize common injuries and illnesses, and understand how to treat them. Areas included in the program include eye injuries, cuts, burns and abrasions, strains, sprains, fractures and shock, heart attack and cardiac arrest, choking, heat-related illnesses and more.
- Upon completing the course, employees should:
- Understand how you can use first aid procedures to help someone who has suffered an injury.
- Recognize what type of injuries you can treat with First Aid procedures.
- Be able to describe how to administer first aid in different injury situations on a job site.
- Understand when you should give first aid in order to protect someone from further injury.