MARCOM's Video On Demand (VOD) program on Safe Lifting in Construction Environments provides the information employees need to protect their backs when they are lifting and carrying, which is something we do all the time, and we normally don't think twice about it. But there are good reasons to consider how we lift and carry things, because there are right ways and wrong ways to do it. And what you don't know about them can hurt you. Areas covered in the course include information on the back's structure and function, preparing for a lift, the mechanics of safe lifting, planning a "carry", and more.
- Upon completing this course, employees should:
- Know the types of hazards that are associated with common lifting tasks.
- Understand the physical principles underlying safe lifting practices.
- Be able to describe techniques that can be used to lift safely.
- Know techniques that should be used for specific types of lifting tasks.