MARCOM's Video On Demand (VOD) program on The Emergency Response Plan is designed to help facilities comply with OSHA's HAZWOPER regulation (29 CFR 1910.120). As part of these regulations, there are varying requirements for employee training, depending on an employee's specific level of involvement with hazardous materials. The course helps employees understand how emergency planning can reduce or eliminate potential exposure to hazardous materials in crisis situations. Hazardous materials and waste are part of many work situations, and can be found on many types of job sites. It is so important that employees know how to recognize these potentially dangerous substances, as well as how to handle and dispose of them properly, that OSHA mandates that anyone working with these substances receive comprehensive training in this area. Areas covered in the course include the purpose of an emergency response plan, the chain of command, responsibilities of the incident commander, responsibilities of the HAZMAT specialist, responsibilities of the HAZMAT technician, responsibilities of the first responder, communication procedures and the buddy system, personal protective equipment, and more.
- Upon completing the course, employees should:
- Know what is contained in a typical Emergency Response Plan.
- Be able to identify the different levels of training given to various types of emergency responders.
- Know the levels of PPE that are used to protect HAZMAT workers in different situations.
- Be able to describe how Emergency Response Plans prepare workers to deal with chemical incidents.