MARCOM's Video On Demand (VOD) program on Handling Hazardous Materials is designed to help facilities comply with OSHA's HAZWOPER regulation (29 CFR 1910.120). As part of these regulations, there are varying requirements for employee training, depending on an employee's specific level of involvement with hazardous materials. Hazardous materials and waste are part of many work situations, and can be found on many types of job sites. It is so important that employees know how to recognize these potentially dangerous substances, as well as how to handle and dispose of them properly, that OSHA mandates that anyone working with these substances receive comprehensive training in this area. The course is designed to explain the regulations and to help employees begin to reduce or eliminate potential exposure to Hazardous Materials in their work environments. The course discusses the nature and behavior of hazardous chemicals, and how to reduce or eliminate potential exposure to hazardous materials in their work environments. Areas covered in the course include physical hazards, flammables/combustibles/explosives/oxidizers, corrosives and irritants, toxic substances and carcinogens, acute and chronic health effects, GHS container labels and SDSs, basic first aid for injuries caused by chemicals, emergency response, spillage / leakage / accident procedures, and more!
- Upon completing the course, employees should:
- Know the difference between "physical hazards" and "health hazards".
- Be able to recognize the different "classes" of hazardous materials.
- Understand how to handle various types of hazardous substances safely.
- Know who to contact in the event of a chemical spill or other HAZMAT emergency.
- Know what type of first aid should be given to people who are exposed to hazardous chemicals.