MARCOM's Video On Demand (VOD) program on Respiratory Protection is designed to help facilities comply with OSHA's HAZWOPER regulation (29 CFR 1910.120). As part of these regulations, there are varying requirements for employee training, depending on an employee's specific level of involvement with hazardous materials. Hazardous materials and waste are part of many work situations, and can be found on many types of job sites. It is so important that employees know how to recognize these potentially dangerous substances, as well as how to handle and dispose of them properly, that OSHA mandates that anyone working with these substances receive comprehensive training in this area. The course helps employees understand how the use of respiratory protection can reduce or eliminate potential exposure to hazardous materials in their work environments. Areas covered in the course include when respirators are needed, basic types of respirators, classifications of respirator filters, supplied air respirators (SARs), self-contained breathing apparatuses (SCBAs), proper fit-testing of respirators, cleaning and maintenance of respirators, and more!
- Upon completing the course, employees should:
- Be able to describe commonly used types of respiratory protection.
- Understand what types of respirators can be used in various hazardous environments.
- Know how to recognize problems that may occur with respirators.
- Be able to perform a "user seal check".
- Know how to perform basic cleaning and maintenance of respiratory equipment.